The non-riding community doesn’t always understand the motorcycle community’s bond and love for one another. It is something that can’t be explained in a post. Fox and Friends visited with Governor Kristi Noeme at The Buffalo Chip in Sturgis, South Dakota. Lawrence Jones got the opportunity to meet and speak with bikers from all over the US and the world.
By Laurie Montoya, President and Founder BikerDown Foundation
I met Shannon about 6 years ago at a fundraiser she was hosting in Las Vegas for a rider that had lost his leg in an accident. There was an instant bond. She loved to help the community and admired my organization’s goal to help injured riders. We became instant friends.
She had always heard me speak about having the right insurance, having a BikerDown membership with Aflac, and nationwide roadside assistance. She attended our Accident Scene Management class and learned how to render proper first aid so that she knew how to help her friends/family/club that she rode with in the event of an accident. One of the first things she purchased was a trauma kit to put on her amazing custom bike. She has used that kit more times than she cares to admit.
First, she joined the BikerDown Roadside level for $35.00 annually and got nationwide motorcycle roadside coverage. Months later, she had an accident in Arizona, and I rushed to get to my friend in the hospital; so grateful that she would be ok, but to see someone you care about in pain in the hospital and the helplessness that friends/family feel first hand. BikerDown hosted her BDFundme and raised funds to help her get through recovery. I believe she utilized the medical equipment that Las Vegas keeps in storage.
Her next step after recovery was realizing that she needed to upgrade her BikerDown membership to the Roadside Plus for $35.00 per month that included the Aflac Accident Policy. She realized after her hospital stay that health insurance and good bike insurance weren’t enough. She wanted Aflac that would cover her and pay her cash benefits for the services rendered, and she wanted the $35k accidental death benefits in case she was ever fatality hurt. She wanted peace of mind when she rode her Bling Devas MC women’s motorcycle club and her family to have the resources to care for things in the event of her passing. She has since signed up members of her family with that policy as well.
In her position as Marketing Director for Full Throttle Law and as a new Instructor for Accident Scene Management, she has ensured that over 200 riders in 2023 have the skills to help an injured rider, and also have the Roadside membership, to ensure that riders who breakdown can get safely off the road. Her firm has given away hundreds of BikerDown/Full Throttle Law trauma kits.
She has helped BikerDown Las Vegas with her contacts and friendships to ensure that we always have donations of medical equipment to help her Vegas riding community.
Recently, she decided to take a 48-state road trip in 10 days. I encouraged her to get an additional policy called Emergency Assistance Plus that would ensure that in the event of any type of medical emergency, including an accident, that:
- EAP would get a family member to her location;
- EAP would life flight her home or to a trauma hospital in the event she was hospitalized in a lower-level trauma hospital;
- EAP would fly her home to a medical facility in Las Vegas;
- EAP would get her bike home safely to Las Vegas.
This weekend, her firm Full Throttle Law will host our 4th Annual Motorcycle Awareness Day in Las Vegas, benefiting BikerDown Las Vegas to ensure that we can sustain the necessary services and resources to continue to help injured motorcycle riders.
In Summary, BikerDown has for 12 years asked riders and followers to please get the services they need to help you in the event of an accident. Freedom of the ride is no longer FREE, and we must, as motorcycle riders, take the necessary steps to protect our families and those that love us.
THANK YOU, SHANNON “DAZZLIN” VENTURO, for your commitment and devotion to your riding community. Words cannot adequately describe my admiration and gratitude for your service to the biker community. Your friendship with me, your guidance when I need it, and your love has been, at times, the one thing that has kept me going in a biker community that isn’t always kind or supportive.
I ASK ALL RIDERS WHO ARE READING THIS BIKER STORY TO PLEASE:
- Get a FREE Insurance review to make sure that in the event of an accident, you are indeed covered, not find out after the fact that your insurance doesn’t cover what you thought. 50-60% of all drivers have limited or no insurance. Read your declaration, and get a real insurance agent or broker to review it. ASK for Uninsured motorist coverage.
- Get the BikerDown Membership at a starting level of $37.50 per year with roadside. A Biker can never have enough motorcycle roadside assistance. KNOW what your roadside actually covers and how far it will take you.
- Health Insurance – if your company doesn’t provide health insurance, do some research, most takes have sites that can find you health insurance at an affordable price.
- Consider getting the BikerDown Roadside Plus membership for $37.50 per month. This accident policy will help you anytime you go to an ER or aftercare and provides on-the-job coverage if you are in an accident at work. It also includes a 20k-35k Accident Death Benefit that can provide your family funds to take care of matters.
- Research the Emergency Assistance Plus coverage. For families, it can cost a mere 200.00 per year to cover your family.
By Laurie Montoya, President and Founder of BikerDown Foundation
This information is for those of you who don’t have your affairs in order. Make sure all bank accounts have direct beneficiaries. The beneficiary need only go to the bank with your death certificate and an ID of their own.
– TOD = Transfer On Death deed if you own a home. Completing this document and filing it with the court saves your heirs thousands. This document allows you to transfer ownership of your home to your designee. All they need to do is take their ID and your Death Certificate, and then they will have the deed signed. Doing this will avoid the home having to go through probate.
– Living Will: Allows one to put in writing precisely what you want to be done if you cannot speak for yourself regarding healthcare decisions.
– Durable Power of Attorney: Allows one to designate a person to make legal decisions if one is no longer competent to do so.
– Power of Attorney for Healthcare: This document allows one to designate someone to make healthcare decisions for their person.
– Last Will and Testament: Designates to whom personal belongings will go too.
– Funeral Planning Declaration: States one’s wishes as far as the disposition of the body and the service/s.
– If the above documents are completed, you can AVOID probate. If all the above is not done, you have to open an estate account at the bank. All money that doesn’t have direct beneficiaries goes into this account. You have to have your executor open the estate account. The executor also has to publicize your death in the newspaper or post-publication at the courthouse to allow anyone to make a claim on your property. – It’s a complete nuisance.
– Make a list of all banks and account numbers, all investment institutions with account numbers, lists of credit cards, utility accounts, etc. Leave clear instructions as to how and when these things are paid. Make sure heirs know where life insurance policies are located.
– Make 100% sure SOMEONE knows your Apple ID, bank ID account logins, and passwords!
– Make sure you have titles for all automobiles, campers, motorcycles, etc
– MOST IMPORTANTLY!- Talk with those closest to you and make all your wishes KNOWN. Talk to those you’ve designated and those close to you whom you did not designate. – Do this to explain why your decisions were made and to avoid any lingering questions or hurt feelings.
BikerDown is always here to help injured riders and their families in the most significant time of need. Please think of your family first and your enjoyment of the ride 2nd. If you know of an injured rider that might need our assistance, please do a help request at www.bikerdown.org.
Please consider subscribing to our newsletter mailing list to get all the up-to-date events and motorcycle awareness events we are co-hosting throughout the country. You can register by clicking here.
|Volume VI | June 2022|
|SPRING RIDING SEASON IS HERE|
March is a month in which you can experience a Lion’s fierce roar of frigid cold, temperatures across the country has many riders sneaking in those weekends to ride, and throwing on an extra layer. As you prepare for April and warmer temperatures, many will be contemplating what new items or accessories they need for their bike. Well I have the best suggestion, and one that you will hopefully not need, but if you do, you will be so glad that you took this STEP!
UPGRADE YOUR BIKE INSURANCE – TODAY
Yep it’s not glamorous, it won’t make heads turn, but upgrading your insurance is truly THE MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do this year. To date, BikerDown has received 40 help requests nationwide, with only 3 of the drivers that negligently crashed into the motorcycle rider having adequate insurance to cover the injured riders recovery.
That means that 37 bikers who are severely injured, who need their medical bills covered, who will be out of work for months will now have to turn to what kind of insurance do i have, and will that insurance i have begin to COVER what I am facing? THE ANSWER IS PROBABLY NOT.
You will find that you are like the hundreds and thousands of riders who think that they only need liability coverage, THAT YOU AREN’T COVERED and AREN’G GETTING YOUR BIKE fixed or replaced. All of your recoveries will be on your shoulders and like it or not, hospitals need or want to be paid!
You will find out that like millions that have full coverage, that say I got good insurance, that your bike will be fixed or replaced, BUT THAT YOUR FULL COVERAGE ISN’T FULL COVERAGE. You won’t get medical bills reimbursed, you won’t get time off of work reimbursed, YOU WILL REALIZE THAT YOU CARED MORE ABOUT YOUR BIKE…than you did covering yourself.
TAKE THE PLEDGE TODAY to 1) Get yourself a real insurance agent who will look at your assets and recommend the level of un-insured you should have or 2) Contact one of our motorcycle attorneys nationwide and ask them to do a FREE INSURANCE REVIEW.
I would pick the latter, WHY? Because I want a lawyer who sues insurance companies for a living to tell me what i am lacking….
Listed below we will give you some real-life examples of WHY this is the most important addition you can make to your riding this season.
President & Founder
|BIKER’S STORY – I GOT HIT BY AN UN-INSURED DRIVER|
|Hit and Run Driver with No Insurance|
A man ran a red light going 30+ mph and T-boned me. He initially stopped to make sure I was alive and ok then when he got back in his car he drove off. What he didn’t realize is his license plate fell off his car on impact so the police have his info.
Fast forward a month later, after my motorcycle attorney Scott O’Sullivan from Rider Justice did an extensive investigation. Here are the results:
So the man who hit me has a long history of driving with no license, no insurance, reckless driving, running red lights, and leaving scenes of accidents, he has no assets and overall criminally is just a POS!!
I had a little uninsured motorist coverage and luckily I am healing quickly. I am self-employed and the only person I can count on is ME.
PLEASE RIDERS – GET AN INSURANCE REVIEW. PRAY YOU DON’T NEED IT, BUT IF YOU DO, YOU WILL BE GLAD ITS THERE.
TAWNY BEE – Denver Colorado
|GET YOUR TRAUMA KIT and BE PREPARED|
A biker is always prepared. Prepared for rain, cold weather, and a variety of other things, but are you prepared in the event of an accident? Consider purchasing BikerDown’s compact tactical trauma kit which is a great starter pack for your bike.
This pack has everything you need to render proper first aid for burns, road rash, and severe accidents. The cost is $50.00 and you can purchase them in our store by clicking here
|Motorcycle Safety Events|
|Motorcycle Awareness Events|
|Thank you to our Sponsors|
I would be remiss, if I didn’t give special mention to all the sponsors who have helped BikerDown. Sponsors who help every month with resources to enable us to devote 24/7/365 to helping injured motorcycle riders. The sponsors as for nothing in return except for BikerDown to keep growing and helping.
Scott O’Sullivan – Rider Justice – Denver, Colorado
Shannon Venturo – Full Throttle Law – Las Vegas Nevada
Matt Powell – Two Wheel Attorneys – Tampa Florida
David Shuman – Motorcycle Safety Lawyers – Chicago Illinois
Karl Truman – Karl Truman Law – Louisville, Kentucky
Tom Schimmerling – Upstate Biker Lawyers – New York
Michael Moebes – Moebes Law – Atlanta, Georgia
NAMIL – Nationwide – Click here
|Please remember that BikerDown asks for your support year-round – Click here to make a donation or visit our store by clicking here|
|Remember If You Go DOWN….We Step UP!|
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (KRDO) — Following a day of a statewide effort to crack down on distracted drivers, more than 80 citations were issued to Colorado Springs drivers.
On March 10, Colorado State Patrol partnered with local law enforcement agencies to participate in a “strict enforcement effort to put an end to distracted driving.”
According to CSP, there were 159 contacts in the Colorado Springs area. Of those 159 contacts, there were 82 citations issued Friday. Ten of these were aggressive/distracted driving, and two were DUIs.
Friday’s operation came just days after a 12-year-old died in an El Paso County crash reportedly caused by a distracted driver.
According to Colorado State Highway Patrol, 2022 had the most traffic fatalities since 1981 with 754 deaths. CSP said many of the crashes were caused by distractions.
Comment: Susan Dane, BikerDown, Rider Justice, and CORD, as well as many other organizations including CDOT and Abate, have fought at the legislative level to get cell phones out of drivers’ hands. This is one of the first executions by Colorado State Highway Patrol to finally set up these types of operations to curb the overwhelming number of distracted drivers in Colorado.